A title does not make you a leader. I don’t care if you’re The President, a CEO, a CTO, a team leader or just someone on the team trying to get stuff done.
Actions make you a leader. Honesty makes you a leader. Integrity makes you a leader.
Here are some things I believe a leader should and should NOT be and do. It’s certainly not exhaustive, but it’s a start.
A Leader should:
- Be humble
- Be transparent
- Have frequent, scheduled 1:1’s with people they lead
- Address concerns from the people they lead
- Seek feedback
- Never ask their team to do anything they aren’t willing to do themselves
A Leader should NOT:
- Make excuses
- Think they are above the people they lead
- Ignore concerns from the people they lead
- Expect others to know what they are thinking
And on that note, I want to take a moment to announce a new blog and podcast I’m putting together! Please check out https://thoughtsonleadership.net/ for details!